List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: libksane
From:       Thomas Gillespie <tomjamesgillespie () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-22 12:38:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Kåre

> As I see it there is only a gui part. The non gui part would be the reading
> of the data it self (which is ~2 functions). All the parameter
> editing/setting is integrated into the gui.
> To save some memory it could be possible to make a "openDeviceNoWidget"
> that wouldn't create the widgets, but only read the available options and
> wait for a scan command.

The non gui part may not be a complicated class, with only functions for image
grabbing, device selecting and parameter setting, but it would do all the hard
work with sane, allowing the gui part to simply hook into this class, but also
allowing developers to create  different gui's, more suited to their needs,
without replicating the whole sane interfacing code.

> There I must disagree :) I don't think scan source, mode, bit depth and
> resolution can be too complicated/confusing.

Maybe confusing was the wrong word, 'unnecessary in some situations' may be a
better phrase.

> But for stuff like archiving documents, there could be applications that
> would scan all the pages in an ADF, with specific settings, without user
> intervention. There a gui less interface would be better :)

Exactly, in fact this whole idea came from a small ocr app I was trying to
build, where i simply want to grab the whole image in a resonably high
resolution and then pass it to my main app. Here the needs are simple and
almost all of the options are unnecessary for my needs. The KSaneWidget as it
is seems a bit overkill for my needs.

Thanks

Tom