List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: libksane
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () kolumbus ! fi>
Date:       2008-05-22 7:30:28

Hi Tom,

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Thomas Gillespie wrote:
> Hi Kåre
>
> > There could be a possibility to just not show the KSaneWidget and provide
> > a function that would trigger the scanning.
>
> Wouldnt it be easier and cleaner just to split the code into two classes?
> The gui part and the non gui part? It just seems neater that way, what do
> you think?

As I see it there is only a gui part. The non gui part would be the reading of
the data it self (which is ~2 functions). All the parameter editing/setting
is integrated into the gui.
To save some memory it could be possible to make a "openDeviceNoWidget" that
wouldn't create the widgets, but only read the available options and wait for
a scan command.

Maybe even so that "openDevice" would create/return a QWidget and not so that
KSaneWidget inherits QWidget.

> > I have been thinking about adding a way to save the current options so
> > that they could be restored the next time the application is run. The
> > idea is that the option names and values would be returned as strings to
> > the application and that those strings then could be used to set the
> > values. This could probably also be used for setting desired values for a
> > widgetless scan.
>
> I like this idea, the options could then be set by the programmer if the
> application's scanning needs arent that complicated, saving the user a lot
> of confusion.
There I must disagree :) I don't think scan source, mode, bit depth and
resolution can be too complicated/confusing.

(OK 'bit depth' could be the exception, but if that is the case I could move
it to the "Other Options tab".)

But for stuff like archiving documents, there could be applications that would
scan all the pages in an ADF, with specific settings, without user
intervention. There a gui less interface would be better :)

--
Kåre Särs