List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using ToolButtonIconOnly as default for KToolBar
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-05-21 23:39:39

On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:25 am, Joachim Eibl wrote:
> My problem is that the new default style for KToolBar has text under the
> icons. KDiff3 has long action texts, so I'd like the default to be without
> texts.

I had a similar problem with a new game I wrote.  In fact one of the
reviewers compained that the buttons were going off the screen :-)

I had previously developed it in KDE 3 and KDE 4 was using (by default)
the tool-tips as button texts, which made things worse.

What I suggest is to use very brief texts (one or two words only) in
button->setText() and put the longer texts in button->setToolTip(), even
in button->setWhatsThis() if you want more explanation to be available.

> I managed to change the toolButtonStyle after calling createGUI()
> KDiff3Shell::KDiff3Shell( bool bCompleteInit )  : KParts::MainWindow( )
> {
>       createGUI(m_part);
>       toolBar()->setToolButtonStyle( Qt::ToolButtonIconOnly );
>
> But now the value isn't persistent if adjusted by the user. After
> restarting KDiff3 the old value is back.

I used, in the appnameui.rc file (copying from Konqueror),

<ToolBar name="mainToolBar" iconText="icononly" fullWidth="true">

but the user can still override that by right-clicking on the toolbar.  Too
bad for him/her if he/she does ;-) ... the toolbar is likely to become less
usable, in this program, so I hope they will go back to Icon Only style.

All the best, Ian W.