List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPackageKit
From:       Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles () elpauer ! org>
Date:       2008-05-15 8:56:06

Quoting mirttex85-kde@yahoo.com.br:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Well i was thinking on sending this e mail a long time ago but just
> now that i got something working i decided to send it.
> I talked to David Faure and he said that might be people interested
> in this project.
>
> Well a brief explanation of why i decided to join PackageKit team.
> Some time ago 7 months i was thinking was should be different to
> allow more users to use linux,
> and even better what should be easier to users that they will love linux...
> So i had this idea (http://maison.mymadcat.com/~madcat/target.png)
> and decided to make it happen, so at the end of 2007 i talked to
> David that tell me to talk to another guy (that i'm sorry don't
> remember the name) about it.
> At the beginnig i thought i'd use Kpackage, but this guy told me
> about packageKit and that it should be a kind of replacement for
> kpackge, well comparing those two programs i saw the brilliant
> future of packageKit and started to play with it.
> My bad luck was that the apt backend (as i use Debian) wasn't
> working, so i tryied to help but my foo in python is not that good.
> Well apt now is working (but really needs improvemnts) and i decided
>  to start working on a kde gui since the majority of Pk dev use gnome.
>
> If you look at PK web site you'll see that there's a QPackageKit to
> download, yes there's a QPackageKit but the development stoped. So
> the old developer and i joined forces to make this happen. as he
> Adrien Bustany is much more familiar with pk than i am we dicided to
>  split the things (which i find it much more productive), he
> develops  a libpackagekit-qt and i am woking on the gui side. Of
> course we  give a hand to each other but i'm a little more familiar
> with  kdelibs...
>
> I decided to make Kcm modules for search/install/remove, settings
> and updates, so everything can be controled on the system settings.
> I'll also do a system service that will show an icon on the tray if
> there's some updates. The idea that i had requires more changing
> like make kickoff use konq actions... but not that hard to manage.
>
> Well lib is not working with 0.2 version of Pk but will work soon,
> and the search thing is completed, now we want to make
> install/remove work.
> The development is going fast i think later this month we'll have
> the first release.
> Then i hope this could be included on Kde 4.2.
>
> So this is it..
>
> If you have a idea, or want to contribute yell on the pk ml or send
> me an email.
> PS. Is better to send me mail on mirttex85-pk@yahoo.com.br, cause
> this one i sent i don't use very often..
>
> Some Screenshots:
> http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html#kde
>
> I'll sure need a hand on the kickoff idea... :D

I may be wrong but from the PackageKit that Richard Hughes gave at
Guademy 2008 I had the impression PackageKit and KPackage complement
each other, i. e. instead of having the package management code in
KPackage, make KPackage just a cool GUI around the PackageKit DBUS
API. Why did you start a new development instead of porting KPackage
to use PackageKit? (Please note I'm not saying KPackageKit is a bad
idea, in fact I like it and I'd like to see more KDE tools ported to
fd.o helper tools such as system-tools-backends )

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org