List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: okteta text color
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-04-30 1:46:47

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2008 09:44:47 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> thanks for the report.
>> Still, please try to use bugs.kde.org to make sure I really see your
>> reports :)
>>
>> Am Montag, 28. April 2008, um 01:29 Uhr, schrieb Carlo:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've just tried okteta and since I use a dark color scheme(obsidian
>>> coast) the text is unreadable
>>> http://uploadgeek.nl/files/gqh2c7tdl228qb8rrtdx.png
>>> so I think that either the background color should be forced to be
>>> white, or the text should use colors from the actual colorscheme
>> Two (or such) colors are still hardcoded, as there are no entries in the
>> colorscheme with proper semantics. On my Todo list for too long, true, will
>> hopefully soon be tackled.
>>
>> Forcing the backround to white is a good idea, will fallback to that if I
>> miss to fix the coloring in time for the 4.1 release.
>
> I don't think so -- no color should be hardcoded.
> Can't you reuse some other color role, for now?

What Luciano said ;-), both about forcing a color (don't do that!) and
using some color roles.

The names of the color roles are really meant to be *suggestions*, not
rules. That is, if you need a color that fits into one of the suggested
roles, you should use the appropriate color for consistency. Otherwise,
if you just need "colors", you're pretty much free to pick whatever
makes the most sense, or even what seems most aesthetically pleasing in
most instances (see for example how kwrite uses the color roles).

Those that followed Olaf's original proposal will know this, but
originally the roles didn't even have names, just 'extra roles 1-7'. The
names are a matter of looking nicer and suggesting common use cases for
consistency, *not* usage requirements.

Maybe I need to try to make this more explicit in the documentation?

Friedrich: If you can tell me the meaning of the colors currently used,
I can offer suggestions. It looks like you have normal text (um,
NormalText??), non-printable text, and text being edited. For
non-printable, there is InactiveText, or if you don't like that look,
NeutralText. For text being edited, ActiveText would be most strictly
appropriate, though some feel that tends to be suboptimal in many color
schemes (it is, really, but that has a lot to do with that being the
hardest color to assign in my experience, and I would welcome
suggestions for improvement of the shipped schemes). You might also use
PositiveText for editing, and either color could use any combination of
LinkText and VisitedText (unless okteta actually has clickable links,
that is).

--
Matthew
Yesterday, I thought of the best .sig that has ever been contemplated.