List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fsync() madness
From:       Sami Liedes <sliedes () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2008-04-21 19:33:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:06:58PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hmm, I'm having problems finding places outside of kmail:
> http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=fsync
> http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=fdatasync

Interesting. I probably grepped for uses of a method named sync()
since in KDE3 too the vast majority of the f(data)sync()s were done
through KTempFile. You seem to be right, there's probably much less
fsync()s in KDE4, since at least from quick grepping there's no
f(data)sync() in such a commonly used class (and most of the sync()
methods apparently only flush the data in KDE4).

Perhaps I should test KDE4 and monitor all fsync()s and fdatasync()s.
I used KDE3 because that's what I still use and where I can recognize
the speedups. But yes, looks more promising. Thanks for pointing that
out.

	Sami