List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fsync() madness
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2008-04-21 19:38:52

On Monday 21 April 2008 14:11:40 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 20 of April 2008, Sami Liedes wrote:
> > >
> > > What are you talking about? I've read those threads and it seems that
> > > this behaviour was only necesarry for xfs and that it was planned to
> > > make it detect fs at run-time and only fsync when necesarry. See this
> > > message http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=119453925805510&w=2
> >
> > I had missed that post. Still, no analysis of the performance hit
> > there, and I think the attitude of "no data loss at all allowed at any
> > power loss, implement at any cost to performance" is misguided.
>
>  Tell that to XFS developers and their users. Anyway, where's your patch?

I discussed this with a friend (who liked XFS because it could online grow >:)
) and it seems that the worst part of XFS behaviour in this regard was fixed
in 2.6.22 --- the bit where any dirty file was zeroed just to be sure(!). So
maybe we don't have to sync() quite so much now.  He has tested it a lot of
times by installing a bios that crashed linux all the time, and it seems to
work much better now :)

Just my 0.02€.

--
regards, Esben