List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fsync() madness
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2008-04-21 16:26:53

On Monday 21 April 2008 18:12:28 Andreas Hartmetz wrote:

> Hey, I use XFS and I don't feel like a tiny minority - it is one of the
> better filesystems :)

If you are happy with it, keep using it. But I still think you are in a
minority, I know no major distro using it as default.

> We should also consider that other programs out there are not so zealous in
>
> > protecting user data... so if this were a real issue, people would steer
> > away
> > from the filesystem.
>
> Right. I use XFS and the frequent "hangs" on disk I/O that I get are a PITA
> while using the desktop. I don't care about config files *that* much...
> what about a "reliable flag" or something, or even explicit sync?

Now, this is interesting. Is the sync a way for KDE to say "do not use
XFS"? :)

> Another approach is to hold off sync calls for some milliseconds to combine
> several calls.

Well, the buffers are normally flushed to disk periodically every 5-10
seconds...

If a power failure happens at the right time, the files will be corrupt
anyway.

At some point, we will just have to trust the OS to do the right thing.

Luciano