List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE, Qt3 and Amarok
From:       "Bart Van Assche" <bart.vanassche () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-19 13:46:59

Hello,

While analyzing KDE applications with a thread checker I noticed that
there is a serious problem in Qt3: the implementation of the class
QShared in Qt3 is not threadsafe. This can cause spurious and hard to
find crashes in KDE applications like Amarok that share Qt-objects
over threads. I have contacted Trolltech about this, and Trolltech
told me that Qt3 has reached end-of-life and that they won't fix this.
Trolltech also told me that the KDE project keeps a collection of
patches for Qt3. This leads to the following questions:
* How important is Qt3 for the KDE project ? Is there still a
significant number of people using Qt3, or will everyone switch to Qt4
shortly ?
* If it is considered relevant to fix this kind of issue, where can I
find the collection of Qt3 patches and how can I submit Qt3 patches ?

Bart.