List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Summer of Code Idea
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-21 21:42:40

On Friday 21 March 2008 16:16:37 Daniel Bostwick wrote:

> I was hoping to get some feedback on a summer of code project idea.
>
> The Gobby open source project is a collaborative text editor. The project
> makes their framework available in through libobby.  I would like to make a
> katepart plugin that implements the libobby, allowing multi-user editing in
> kate and elsewhere.

This is a highly interesting and much demanded feature. So I guess it would be
a great SoC project.

The first step to a good proposal would be to research what else has been done
in this area. There are a couple of efforts in collaborative editing for KDE,
so there are chances to build upon something already existing.

I would also suggest to ask on the kate developer mailing list for more
comments as there are the people who really understand the implications of
this project.