List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to spawn a konsole from another app?
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-03-07 12:45:39

On 07.03.08 17:53:29, Robin Atwood wrote:
> I want to execute a bash script and display the results to the user. Since the
> output is very heavily formated, executing the script
> in "konsole --noclose ..." seems the most tidy solution. I currently just use
> the system() function to do this and it works but the main application
> freezes until the user closes the konsole. I think there must be a better KDE
> way of doing this and I have found KProcess but that causes Konsole problems;
> it does not provide the right environment. The error messages:
>
> 	konsole: WARNING: Unable to open a pseudo teletype!
> 	Uh oh.. can't get terminal attributes..

Sounds as if your hosting application doesn't run in an X11 environment
or some such. KDevelop3 also executes the application inside an external
konsole using KProcess (without blocking the Ui) if the user wants that.

Its using KProcess::start( KProcess::OwnGroup, KProcess::AllOutput ) to
do that.

Andreas

--
Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.