List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where to start: C++ for students & KDE4
From:       Kevin Ottens <ervin () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-02-02 21:30:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le jeudi 31 janvier 2008, RalfGesellensetter a écrit :
> Now, I am faced to a voluntary club of kids who are eager to start
> software development with C++. Our desktops run KDE 3.5.5, but it
> should be possible to install KDE4/Qt4 development tools.

OK.

> My questions are:
> - Where to start to be in the right track towards KDE4 in the
>   first place.

If you mean having something the students could use to work with the KDE4 API,
a distro where you install cmake and some kde4 development package is enough.
I setup such a thing in my University, they use Fedora so we just upgraded it
and installed the provided kde4 devel package.

BTW, thanks a lot to the Fedora crew, it all worked like a charm. ;-)

> - What tools to use

I generally push my students to use a command line and an editor, at least at
the beginning. So that they don't think that building a software is something
magic happening when you press the right button in your IDE.

But using something like KDevelop is perfectly fine too IMO.

> - Which tutorials to recommend

If they are real beginners, starting with the tutorial shipped with Qt4 is
probably a good idea. It's not very difficult, they produce a small game. To
begin it's really perfect IMO.

After that you can add more work with some KDE integration. If you're
interested I have a long tutorial to produce a small spreadsheet. I use it
for students who also have to learn Test Driven Development and had a few
hours of Qt work already, so it might be a bit biased for your target. It's
probably a good base to build upon though.

> - Do you have ideas of initial tasks or of simple
>   samples to analyse?

We used to have a junior job list somewhere... but I'm not exactly sure where
it's located now (wiki, techbase or in our bugzilla?). That could be a good
start, some of them might be a bit difficult though.

I hope that helps.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."