List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4, Ready to 11/01?
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () purinchu ! net>
Date:       2008-01-06 5:13:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Joshua J. Berry wrote:
> >Release quality?   No way.
>
> Please read Aaron's blog for more information:
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/talking-bluntly.html

I'll also note that this was the same type of mentality applied to the Linux
2.6.0 release.  There were all the 2.5 releases to test with of course, and
I'm sure it received more testing before release than KDE 4.0.0 but
eventually Linus decided to release 2.6.0 even though he knew there were be
bugs and regressions.  The reason was because if you don't release, it
doesn't get tested, simple as that.

In our case of course, lack of testing isn't the only problem as we knew about
many bugs before release.  But the release also clears the way for
application development and it lets us know which bugs are the most serious
(bugs which seem serious to developers may be less so to most users, and vice
versa).

So as much as I would have liked this to be a higher-quality release, I'm
proud of what we've accomplished and I agree with the decision to release.
The time has come, it doesn't make sense to hold off forever.

(Besides, did you notice the incredible commit rate before the tag freeze?  A
deadline helps, uh, motivate developers. ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne