List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 - doplhin   - bug reporting uses "very old" bug system
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-12-16 8:30:17

On 16.12.07 08:59:14, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> On Sunday 16 December 2007 00:34:44 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > > IMHO dolphin should open bugs.kde.org
> >
> > It can't do that because HTTP is needed.
> >
> > It would have to open it in Konqueror or the default browser.
>
> about every other application launches the wizard

And I find that really bad. Sure the wizard is great if a
non-experienced user goes to the website and publishes a bug. But why
does he need to do that in the first place? The applications already add
the things like their own and KDE's version, even stuff like "SuSE"
packages and such. Having all that information already means the user
just has to file a title, severity and a descriptive text. Its a PITA
having to go through the wizard for just this and raises the entry bar.

I find the dialog in Dolphin great and it should be moved to kdelibs and
made the default for reporting bugs in KDE apps. It fetches all needed
information and directly creates a new bugreport, without having to take
yet another hurdle.

Andreas

PS: For our new bugzilla I'd like to have a way to bypass this silly
wizard for those people that already have "full rights" on bugzilla -
i.e. all longer-term developers.

--
Beware of low-flying butterflies.