List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feedback; bug reports
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-11-14 7:57:51

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 08:38:43 James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> I am starting to feel as though I need to apologize for going to
> engineering school and studying EE & CS.  I figure that my instructors
> and the text books used were correct and I can pass this knowledge along
> unless people think that what is taught in software engineering courses
> in college had no validity and that they must learn it themselves by
> trial and error.  There is a large body of knowledge on the subject and
> it seems foolish to ignore it. I would hope that KDE developers have
> read several books on programing and would already know that what I said
> is true.
> Note that books on a language are not what I mean by books on programing
> -- knowing a computer language is necessary, but not sufficient to know
> how to write good programs.  This is also something which I was taught
> in college.

We all agree on what you say here. What we don't like are lengthy mails
telling us to do this and that, often with sentences we don't even
understand.
When you say a GUI has poor design, we'd like a patch with a good design.

Don't forget: we're humans, we did not study as well as you did (should I stop
contributing to KDE because I don't reach the standards you set?) and we do
it for fun in our free time. That does not mean we don't want quality but
that means the ones who have more strengths in one area must contribute to
balance the weaknesses of others. It's all about complementarity.

I don't have the knowledge you have, I did not go to college, you have to
balance my lack of it with yours.

Also, I'd be happy to get some books you refer to. This is also a way of
contributing.

Anne-Marie