List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feedback; bug reports
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-09 11:23:46

On Thursday 08 November 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> the content of the toolbars is totally dependent on the protocol of what
> is being displayed.  It is NOT dependent on the profile being used.  The
> only thing which is dependent on the profile is whether the Navigation
> Panel is displayed.
>
> Is there anything else that can be configured in one profile that won't
> affect other profiles?  I have not found anything!

You're looking at KDE3. Duh!
There's already more separation in KDE4, even though we're not done completely yet.

> Not the Window profile.  If there is to be a profile, this should be
> dependent on the protocol being used in the current tab.

Let's not call that profile then, it will get too confusing.

> I think that that is part of my point.  The features available currently
> change based on the protocol in the current tab.

Nope. The features available currently change based on the MIMETYPE,
i.e. the part (component) used in the current tab.
You get the same features for directories, whether they are file:// or ftp://.
So this is about mimetype, not about protocol.

> How do you know?  Have you taken  a survey of newbies to see if they
> really understand the subtle difference between: 'web' and 'internet'?
And... have you?

> I don't see how this changed things.  None of the GUI was removed.
Well if you keep looking at old kde3 this discussion is certainly nonsense.

> > the Home button always going to the same place,
>
> It needs to be that way, otherwise it would be state dependent
> overloading of a single icon.  However, as I have proposed, we can have
> multiple buttons: Home, User_Files, Web_Home.
We want less buttons, not more.

> Or, we could have a short "places" menu to replace the Home button.
There is a Go menu already, that's independent.

> > the web bookmarks and the local bookmarks being mixed up, etc. etc.
>
> Does the current setup resolve this issue?  Yes this is an issue, but
> having profiles doesn't address it.

Well, it's part of the PLAN of using more the profile difference. Not all done yet.

> Yes indeed it is a problem.  However, by creating the two profiles and
> leading users to believe that there are two Konqueror modes, we have
> created confusion which is responsible for much of this complaining.
> Users think that there are two modes and complain because they don't
> work the way they think that they should.
So we'll be fixing that with kde4.

> Currently, we have provided some half baked
> solutions and I agree with the users that they are not satisfactory.
Yes. But I'm not interested about talking about the past, I'm interested in
talking about the future :)

> > The current idea is to have -more- of that distinction, not less.
>
> I am not necessarily opposed to this.  I am only opposed to the current
> way that it is implemented.
Good.

> > If you don't want two modes, you are free to use only one of them for
> > everything.
> >
> Actually, I can't do this because of the fact that these two modes are
> in the code.  This is a poor design.
Thanks for the kind words, but no, you can certainly always open konqueror
with the same profile (just change your file associations), since there is no
mode-auto-switch (something I have always been against).
But remember what you said about "when I click on an ftp link from a webpage
I'm still in the web mode". Well yeah, web bookmarks and (in the future) web home \
button, but you get a directory viewer with directory features. So I do not want \
mode-auto-switch, only to push more features down to the dolphin part when they are \
about file-management only so that they don't bloat the gui when using the html part \
-- however this is completely orthogonal to profiles.

> 1.	The File Management profile be removed from the code.  We can still
> ship it as a backward compatibility feature.
Many people are very happy with it, I will certainly not remove it.
But in kde4 you won't even see it anymore by default, since dolphin is associated \
with directories by default. You'll have to ask for it in order to see it.

> 2.	The function "kfmclient" call Dolphin rather than Konqueror.  This
> would mean that the: "openProfile" command would need to be ignored (for
> backward compatibility)
Nonsense, and not useful since dolphin has higher priority anyway in the mimetype \
associations.

> 3.	The current Profile function needs to be split into a function to
> save content and a way to make different configurations.
Save content??

> 4.	The configurations could be done in various ways.  We can have named
> configurations if we feel this is necessary, but there should be a
> default configuration for each profile, actually to start with you would
> have a default configuration and a modified copy would be saved with a
> name when modifications are made.
Profiles -are- configurations (of the window), I don't see a distinction there.

> 5.	Most configuration of the profiles can be accomplished with the
> existing toolbar configuration dialog.  I would add another button:
> "Apply to All Configurations".  The "Apply" button would apply only to
> that configuration or protocol.
Now that toolbars get saved into profiles, yeah, we have that problem of
how to handle the toolbar configuration dialog. It's the standard dialog though,
it doesn't know about konq's profiles...

> 6.	Some of the current (KDE3) Konqueror KCMs are a mess.  It is divided
> into Web & FileManager while some of the options apply to both.
> Since there aren't two modes, these need to be completely redone to
> correspond with what the options actually apply to.  The current KDE4 is
> a great improvement, but some of it still suffers from the same problems.
Update, there is no filemanager konqueror kcm anymore.