List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ktempfile
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-08 10:34:07

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Jaison Lee wrote:
> [...]

I think that what people missed in this thread is that history is shared among
konqueror windows, which could be in different processes. So we do need to write
to the file immediately so that your url comboboxes all have the new url in it
(this isn't about statistics, it's about the url combo's items). Well, more precisely:
the new url is sent to other windows using dcop/dbus, but if you open a new window
(in a new process) it will read from the kconfig file. So a 5 minutes autosave would
just lead to bugs.

> > 3.I think use kconfig for user habit statistical data like visit history is
> > totally wrong.
>
> I agree. It was probably just used because it was easy and readily
> available.

It's unbelievable what people conclude from reading emails instead of just reading the code :-)
Konqueror's history does NOT use kconfig since it's binary data.
It uses KSaveFile though, to avoid data corruption.
kdebase/apps/lib/konq/konq_historymgr.cc  KonqHistoryManager::saveHistory().