List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ktempfile
From:       Carsten Lohrke <carstenlohrke () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-10-18 16:22:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> I think the problem with config files is not as much that they become
> corrupt, but that applications crash because of that. So fsyncing them may
> alleviate the pain, but it's not a real solution...

Both is a real problem. As syncing (at least regarding unimportant data as the
browser history) is. How about always keeping a sane copy and including a
hash over the data in the (config) files, so applications can easily detect
and fall back to a correct file, in case!? Doing tests with fuzzed data to
ensure applications act gracefully wouldn't be bad either.

The only downside would be that editing files manually would be a bit less
trivial, but this is only the question of having the right (command line)
tool to embed the hash after editing.

Carsten