List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ktempfile
From:       Andreas Hartmetz <ahartmetz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-18 15:51:15

Am Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007 17:22:55 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Em Thursday 18 October 2007 16:07:57 Jaison Lee escreveu:
> > If KConfig could me
> > be made to sync() in the background this issue goes away. Is someone
> > willing to look into this?
>
> Even if you do it in a thread, the whole system syncs. It's not a question
> of whether the GUI is responsive or not -- it's a question of whether
> there's a lot of disk I/O.
>
> In the ideal world, I wouldn't recommend syncing at all: if you have a
> power loss, your data is corrupted and we can't do much about it. But I do
> remember lots of complaints by users in bugs.kde.org about this issue,
> which is probably why the sync was introduced in the first place.

I will take the risk to call these users a vocal minority. You don't get bug
reports about low performance, people think that it would be really hard to
improve speed because programmers usually do optimize. Slowness is only
perceived as a bug in extreme cases.
OTOH, if it really made a difference everybody would appreciate a noticeable
speed gain. I, for one, sure would.
You can't make everybody happy.

With my total ignorance of the details in that case, let me suggest to have
the history saved in intervals of about one minute (or ten) and at some
predefined "interesting" events like closing Konqueror, or even when there is
no user input for a second. No user input - Konqueror doesn't need to do
anything - nothing can slow down [animated gifs don't count].
When the user wants something to happen right away (open a tab) is really the
worst time of all to do something expensive so any other time would be an
improvement.