List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-14 20:20:23

David Jarvie wrote:
> For user-visible strings, should we use "System Settings" in KDE 4
> where "Control Center" was used in KDE 3?

One final comment.

While those that subscribe to the Humpty Dumpty school of semantics[1]
can claim that "system" is the proper word to rename the Control Center
to System Settings, there is one thing which I understand to be one of
the cardinal rules of usability: You should not use the same word to
mean two different things as this will result in confusion.

I ask that those that wish to reply to this and tell me that I am wrong
please address their comments to the above stated rule of usability.  To
be blunt, if you don't convince me that this rule is wrong, you have no
case.

Now to the comment.  I attach a screen shot from the Font Installer
section of the new "System Settings".  I think that I mentioned this
before in this thread but was simply ignored.  So, I thought that with
the actual screen shot that someone might listen.  If not, then I am
simply going to give up (and I do not mean just this issue).

I believe that that is the correct (or best) use of the word 'system' in
the context of computer software, but IAC it does not have the same
meaning as its use in System Settings.  Therefore, we need to change
something and I would suggest that we change the name of "System Settings".

--
JRT

1. Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carrol, chapter IV

`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it
means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

["snapshot1_1.png" (image/png)]