List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A few questions
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-04 2:12:32

Eligio Becerra Zavala wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm trying to become a KDE developer, and so far I've been able to
> build KDE4 from SVN (following techbase howto), but I still have a
> few questions about running and developing KDE4
>
> Which is the best way to develop on KDE4? Solitary session, Nested
> session?

The best way to test something is to use a solitary session with a KDE4
test user account.  Any other way and you run the risk of missing bugs.
  This is very simple to do with KDE, just "Switch User :: Start New
Session:.

I have to say that the same is true of the method in the techbase howto.
  If you install in: $HOME/kde rather than /usr/local/KDE-4.0. (note
that "/local" is optional) you run the same risks.

> How good/practical is "Increse your productivity in KDE4
> with scripts"? Since I don't fully understand what I'm doing I prefer
> to use a "safer way" but this thing is bugging me If you use "Increse
> your productivity in KDE4 with scripts" you use a nested session or
> what?

I would suggest that it always better to write your own scripts rather
than use canned ones.  This is really the only way to know what you are
doing.

How do I fetch KGET and all requiered modules/dependencies?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question.

SVN modules are fetched with: "svn co".

KGet, is just the KDE download manager, so you can use it to download
anything you need to download.

What you download for dependencies depends on your distro and whether
you want to install binaries or build them from source.

If you can be more specific, I will try to help.

--
JRT