List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-01 20:22:52

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On 10/1/07, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Thats what you get for using proprietary software :P Seriously
>>> though as far as I followed the thread this is something that
>>> needs fixing in flash.
>> It has nothing to do with it being proprietary.  Changes in GLib
>> previously broke aRts.  I really think that the fault lies with
>> GLib, but it could also be fixed in the Flash Player.  One thing
>> that should be clear is that some how the binary compatibility was
>> not preserved in GLib.
>>
>> The simple work around for such accidental binary incompatibilities
>>  are to continue to use the latest version of the library that
>> still works and either statically link it or link it with the
>> specific version number.  Unfortunately, either method requires the
>> source code.  With a binary, we have the Linux equivalent of
>> DLL-hell.  We shouldn't have this problem because all of our
>> dynamically linked libraries have version numbers.  If the SO
>> linker had a way to map the linking of SOs when the default caused
>> problems, we would have a solution for such problems -- problems
>> that are not *supposed to* happen.
>
> Indeed. So, breaking BC sucks, GLib sucks, Flash sucks. Now why again
>  are we wasting time on this?

I suppose that it is because someone presumed that I was an idiot and
tried to explain about binary compatibility.  This is why I say people
are arrogant, they presume that others know nothing.  If you don't like
the word 'arrogant', see the dictionary and note that in M-W that
'presumption' is part of it.

> Let the distributions figure this out, it's not our fault

In this case, this is true.  There is nothing that we can do about it.
However, you will please note that I only used this as an example.  I
did not suggest that we should fix it.

> and 3.5 is 2 years old, we got a 4.0 to release. Way more important,
> imho. The more time we spend on 3.5, the longer it takes for 4.x to
> get usable, and the longer ppl have to use 3.5 - which gets older,
> thus gains more problems like this one.

I have serious issues with this attitude.  We released KDE-3.5 and we
should take personal responsibility for that.

The remaining issue (see final posting for this thread) is the new XML
based MusicBrainz.  I seriously doubt that the code to use it will be
greatly different for KDE-4.0.0 vs. KDE-3.5.x.  But please note that I
suggested that it should be resolved for KDE-4 HEAD first and then back
ported to KDE-3.5 BRANCH.

--
JRT