List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-01 10:26:07

On 10/1/07, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 30.09.07 14:50:23, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> We now have a very serious
> >> problem with the Adobe Flash NS Plugin.  The current release of GNOME
> >> breaks this totally -- it is unusable.  Yes, this isn't supposed to
> >> happen, but it does.
> >
> > Thats what you get for using proprietary software :P Seriously though as
> > far as I followed the thread this is something that needs fixing in
> > flash.
>
> It has nothing to do with it being proprietary.  Changes in GLib
> previously broke aRts.  I really think that the fault lies with GLib,
> but it could also be fixed in the Flash Player.  One thing that should
> be clear is that some how the binary compatibility was not preserved in
> GLib.
>
> The simple work around for such accidental binary incompatibilities are
> to continue to use the latest version of the library that still works
> and either statically link it or link it with the specific version
> number.  Unfortunately, either method requires the source code.  With a
> binary, we have the Linux equivalent of DLL-hell.  We shouldn't have
> this problem because all of our dynamically linked libraries have
> version numbers.  If the SO linker had a way to map the linking of SOs
> when the default caused problems, we would have a solution for such
> problems -- problems that are not *supposed to* happen.

Indeed. So, breaking BC sucks, GLib sucks, Flash sucks. Now why again
are we wasting time on this? Let the distributions figure this out,
it's not our fault and 3.5 is 2 years old, we got a 4.0 to release.
Way more important, imho. The more time we spend on 3.5, the longer it
takes for 4.x to get usable, and the longer ppl have to use 3.5 -
which gets older, thus gains more problems like this one.