List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-09-30 16:15:14

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 29.09.07 14:51:23, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Please discuss on kde-devel.
>>
>> IIUC, we are making a new release.  I agree that this is needed. We
>>  should continue to make bug fix released and maintenance releases
>> at least till 4.0.0 is released.
>>
>> I notice that we have some maintenance issues in KDEMultimedia.
>>
>> We do not appear to support the new MusicBrainz/TunePimp.  IIUC,
>> there is a new server and a new protocol and that the old server is
>>  going to be taken down soon.
>>
>> We do not appear to support the latest releases of Ogg/Vorbis.
>> However, MP3 works on OK with KDE players on my system.
>>
>> I do not know the current status of aRts vs GLib.  I was running
>> 1.5.1 with Fedora patches which seemed to work OK.  I am currently
>>  trying the SVN 1.5 BRANCH without patches built against
>> GLib-2.14.1 to see if it will work.  If not, I will try to find
>> some patches for a version newer than 1.5.1.
>>
>> It appears to be that, if possible, these issues should be
>> addressed in a maintenance release.
>
> You're about 2-3 months too late.

If you read what I wrote, you will see that I didn't say that it had to
be for this release.  But, will it take 2 months to fix this?

> KDE 3.5.8 is scheduled for the very near future (not sure wether it
> was Oct 3rd or 10th) and is already 1 months "behind schedule". Also
>  KDE3 doesn't have to support all the latest versions of all those
> things out there, IMHO.

The problem with this theory is that there are other applications out
there that may require the new version of the library.  Unfortunately,
although it is possible to link against a specific minor version so that
the old library can coexist with a newer version on the same system,
this is not usually done.  Mozilla does this with the C++ library.

> Also as far as I can see libogg 1.1.3 is the current version and
> libvorbis 1.2.0 and kde3.5.7 works perfectly fine with those,

I am still not certain why it doesn't work on my system.  It stopped
when I upgraded the Xiph libraries.

> so maybe the "support" for those is just a matter of an
> autoconf-check change, which obviously distro's already do.

This is also a theory that I would disagree with.  We should not release
a product that is defective and expect that the distros will fix it.

Those are the current version numbers.  The question is whether you
built them and KDE from source or did a distro fix something. :-)

--
JRT