List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE rough edges - file-types in KDE 3
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-19 11:13:34

On 9/19/07, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
> > BTW my wife has stopped asking me why, in KMail, you have to
> > scroll right to the end to see what attachments are present and to
> > open them.  I simply do not know.  In Windows, the list of attachments
> > (if any) was always displayed in the header area and you could
> > not miss attachments (as she and I sometimes do in KMail).
>
> Settings -> Configure KMail -> Appearance
> Third Tab (Window) contains options how to display the message structure and
> where to put it (above or below the actual message window)

But that looks horrible, even Outlook (which otherwise sucks balls)
does it better - see attachment.

> > My next problem was to find out how to change it - to Gwenview,
> > for example.  I searched for about half an hour through KMail
> > and Control Center settings to try and find anything that related
> > to recognising file-types - but in vain.  This is about as much fun
> > (for me) as turning over rocks looking for snails in my garden.
>
> The usual way users do it based on my experience on the user support lists is
> through the context menu, either through "Open with and remember that" or
> through the preferences on files in the file manager.
> My guess is that this is the way they used to do it on other platforms.
> Since you had to try a lot, how did you do it on whatever platform you used to
> use before?

Yeah, that's how I do it - rmb on a file, and set it right. It's not
entirely clear HOW to do it, then, you gotta know to click the icon.
Both Gnome and Windows do it smarter - see second attachment (that's
what you get behind a windows box at work, sorry).

> Users who specifically ask usually get the answer how to do it through the
> control centre, i.e. KDE components -> File Associations -> Image/jpeg
> Makes it probably less intuitive but is better for describing in an answer.

yes, I think the control center option is good. Having it only in the
properties dialog like G has is bad, imho.

> Cheers,
> Kevin
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

["mail.JPG" (image/jpeg)]
["filetype.JPG" (image/jpeg)]