List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE rough edges - file-types in KDE 3
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-09-19 10:47:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:

> BTW my wife has stopped asking me why, in KMail, you have to
> scroll right to the end to see what attachments are present and to
> open them.  I simply do not know.  In Windows, the list of attachments
> (if any) was always displayed in the header area and you could
> not miss attachments (as she and I sometimes do in KMail).

Settings -> Configure KMail -> Appearance
Third Tab (Window) contains options how to display the message structure and
where to put it (above or below the actual message window)

> My next problem was to find out how to change it - to Gwenview,
> for example.  I searched for about half an hour through KMail
> and Control Center settings to try and find anything that related
> to recognising file-types - but in vain.  This is about as much fun
> (for me) as turning over rocks looking for snails in my garden.

The usual way users do it based on my experience on the user support lists is
through the context menu, either through "Open with and remember that" or
through the preferences on files in the file manager.
My guess is that this is the way they used to do it on other platforms.
Since you had to try a lot, how did you do it on whatever platform you used to
use before?

Users who specifically ask usually get the answer how to do it through the
control centre, i.e. KDE components -> File Associations -> Image/jpeg
Makes it probably less intuitive but is better for describing in an answer.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring