List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classmate etc compiles
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-08-28 16:04:25

Il Monday 27 August 2007 12:12:25 John Tapsell ha scritto:
> Hi,
>   For classmate machines etc, it might be important to try to compile
> without many unnecessary features.  Maybe we could have a flag that
> turns off expensive features during compile?  Then as a coder I can
> #ifdef some stuff out that's not 100% needed.

It may be useful, yes. Maybe we could identify a few hardware profiles we'd
like to support... but the problem with this kind of things is that most of
the developers do not care, and non-default profile compilations are often
broken.

I think there is time to do that for KDE4.1, if sufficiently motivated people
is found.

I'm quite interested in that prototype that circulated during the akademy, and
while it's quite powerful for things like that, it has its own constraints...
like the classmate machine.

Luciano