List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdepimlibs compile requirements -- boost
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-06-30 16:37:49

On 30.06.07 11:38:41, dukju ahn wrote:
> When I try to compile kdepimlibs, cmake fails because I don't have
> boost in my system. What I am worried is
> Does the boost is really needed for every KDE end-user? AFAIK, boost
> is very big library and it contains many duplicated features with Qt.
> If boost is requirement, KDE4 will be very big package.

Boost is splitted across multiple libraries and AFAIK you don't even
need any of the libs to build kdepimlibs. Next thing is: This doesn't
make kde itself any bigger as package, it would just add another library
to the dependecies.

Also this is the wrong list to adress such things, library-development
is discussed on kde-core-devel and this specific issue was discussed
there several times. According to the authors of kdepimlibs code the
Boost autoptr which they use is superior to the Qt QPointer and they
need the specific features from boost.

Andreas

--
Be careful!  UGLY strikes 9 out of 10!