List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Budding Developer
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-20 19:11:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> Greetings KDE development community.

welcome =))

> I was wondering, after reading the wiki on the EBN and some of the
> upcoming features they are working on, why there are so many copyright,
> include, and license errors.  Is this something developers just haven't
> polished in their source code or an actual bug in the EBN parsers?  If

we just haven't polished this... (too?) often we are spending all our time on
bug count reduction and feature implementations. ebn is there to help remind
us.

there may also be false positives in there, and if so those should be reported
to the ebn wizards. allen winter tends to be the point man for that

> I'd like to donate some of my time, as I'm just starting out in a
> project of this magnitude, to clean up some of these errors.  What are

that would be terrific!

> the policies on submitting corrected source code? Obviously I'm more

generate a patch (svn diff) and email to the maintainer and/or appropriate
list. if you aren't sure which those are, kde-devel will do.

> concerned about getting corrected source code to the developer in charge
> and not so much about directly committing anything to SVN as that isn't

eventually after committing enough of your patches for you, you will be
encouraged by one or more of us to get your own account so you can manage
your own additions. this has a dual purpose: keeping our time more free
(decentralized development rocks; committing other people's patches not so
much =) and enticing you to become more involved by giving you greater direct
access to the codebase. ;)

don't worry, every commit appears on the commit log mailing list and we won't
drop the ball on you until you've made a small collection of patches for svn
=)

> the way it should be done.  Developers, please let me know who I may
> contact in order to help bring the EBN issue count down.  Once I'm

you've already managed to accomplish that one. on to the next task! =)

> familiar and comfortable with this I'd like to move on to helping squash
> some minor bugs anyone is having problems with.

brilliant; you can also find us working on kde4 on irc.freenode.net in
#kde4-devel...

once again, welcome to kde. things only get more fun from here on out ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se