List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Reason for both .local and .Trash?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-18 4:53:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Lexual wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It has long bugged me that gnome/gtk has "trash" files in ~/.Trash and
> that kde/qt put these files in ~/.local?

Is that a question? :-)

>What is the reason for having 2 differing solutions to one simple
> problem?

The same as always: independent solutions.

>Is there any particular technical advantages betweens these two
> approaches?

I have no idea about the GNOME trash specification.

>Is there any reason why kde4 can't have a better unified solution?

We have. It's called the freedesktop.org Trash specification:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec

Unfortunately, I can't access the specification file. The website is down.

>Is there any reason we couldn't adopt .Trash? [I have no idea if .local
> has technical advantages over .local, I just know that kde4 will arrive
> before gnome3]

Is there any reason why they can't switch?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358