List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: Idea for saving power on laptops
From:       Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak () arcor ! de>
Date:       2007-05-18 17:03:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> Well the fact that the X server does not know about windows being minimised
> (and therefore neither do the applications), is probably part of the
> problem. Therefore a browser cannot freeze a page, because it may not even
> realise its window is invisible to the user. It could however freeze pages
> in inactive tabs. I'll definitely file a bug on konqi and firefox.
Of course the X-Server knows about mapped windows and so can applications.

Browsers render pages in the background so when you unminimize the window, the
webpage is already there. They should however stop gif-animations and flash
animations when they are not visible. Thus making it not possible to listen
to a youtube-flash-video-song in a minimized browser... So actually it is
flash that should stop rendering content when the plugin window is not
visible.
Or use flashblock! And gif animations come from hell, too.

Sascha