List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problems with mime types
From:       Thomas McGuire <Thomas.McGuire () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-04-22 14:13:03

Hi,

Am Sunday 22 April 2007 schrieb Eduardo Robles Elvira:
> I've got a recent version of SVN installed (this week) and I'm having
> problems with mimetypes. I've got
> kdelibs,kdepimlibs,kdebase,qt,shared-mime-info 0.20, cmake, qt, strigi etc.
>
> I've tried to do this:
> unset XDG_DATA_DIRS && kbuildsycoca4 as stated in the wiki and as pinotree
> told me but I had no success.
>
> What I'm really trying is to debug konqueror (as I'm developing some thing
> for it) and this is the command I execute:
>
> kdbg `which konqueror`
>
> And the problem appears when I try to open a source file (Ctrl+O): I get a
> message box saying "The MIME type couldn't be found
> application/octet-stream" and after that another one stating "There are no
> mimetypes installed" and then kdbg crashes.
>
> If I use the start3app [1] function from the wiki to start kdbg.. then it
> works, but then it's konqueror the one which don't load any document and it
> cannot open tabs.
>
> I guess I could learn to use gdb but I'd like to have a solution for this
> too
No need to learn GDB, I suggest you use KDevelop, debugging there works. Read
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development#KDevelop
to set it up correctly.

The problem using a KDE 3 application (kdbg) to debug a KDE 4 application
(konqueror) is that the environment variables for one of those will always be
wrong, causing errors like you descibe.
Using kdbg 'which konqueror', the environment variables for kdbg are wrong.
Using start3app, the environment variables for konqueror are wrong.

KDevelop can work around the problem by setting environment variables when
running/debugging an application (see the techbase article)

Hope this helps,
Thomas