List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: Problem with layout on lxr.kde.org]]
From:       Stefan Monov <logixoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-30 20:07:23

> Well, we can restrict the width somewhat by having a certain percentage
> of whitespace on the left and right side of the page, i.e. some "border"
> but it should definetly be smaller than it currently is. Currently it
> looks like the ratio is 40:60 (both borders:content pane) here on the
> "default" sized konqueror window (which may be something like 1200
> pixel, if I'm not mistaken)
To be precise, the content width is currently specified in pixels; it doesn't
change across different resolutions. It's designed to be less or equal to any
modern resolution, which is why it's so narrow.

> so I think having a 20:80 ratio would be good.
If the absolute sizing is kept but the width is enlarged, then users of
resolutions like 800×600 will have to scroll horizontally. What I would
prefer is a fixedwidth sidebar and fluid content area. Then, to accommodate
the lines-must-be-short rule, we can adjust margins.

Cheers,
Stefan (who is not a designer).