List:       kde-devel
Subject:    trunk broken for you since ~monday? this is how to fix it
From:       Eduardo Robles Elvira <edulix () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-29 22:20:48

Hi all!

I've been having trouble with trunk since monday. Sometimes it gave a compile
error at some point, but that's normal and normally getting another revision
or even asking in #kde4-devel for the solution gets the job done. The real
problem that was driving me crazy was that konqueror (which is the only KDE4
program that I'm testing for now) crashed when I launched it. Probably other
software did too.

Apparently, I was not the only one. For example jjiglesias was having similar
problems. pinotree and dfaure gave me the solution: unset XDG_DATA_DIRS and
execute kbuildsyscoca4 (yes, the 4 is important!). You need also to edit the
~/.bashrc so that XDG_DATA_DIRS is not set when bash starts.

So the steps:
 1. Execute: unset XDG_DATA_DIRS && kbuildsyscoca4
 2. Edit ~/.bashrc and find any reference to XDG_DATA_DIRS, delete it and
remplace them all with a sole unset XDG_DATA_DIRS
 3. Execute konqueror to see that now it works
 4. Profit !

Thanks for your time,
       Eduardo Robles Elvira.