List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Status On KPackage
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2007-03-20 22:33:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 11:08, Toivo Pedaste wrote:
> Kelly wrote:
> > But I think you're right.  By definition, no package manager can support
> > ports/portage, and other than that most of the others are supported by
> > Smart
> > at least.  Which would ultimately make an official KDE package manager
> > redundant; it'd probably be better to convert KPackage into a Qt frontend
> > to Smart itself, or trash it altogether.
>
> Yes, I think using SMART as the engine is the way to go.

Only question is (admittedly I'm only peripherally knowledgable of SMART...)
whether it supports debian apt repositories, as apt and apt-rpm are VERY
different beasts internally. Additionally, how well does it fair on BSD
systems? Slackware? etc....

I can agree that source based distributions like Arch, Sourcerer, SourceMage,
and Gentoo would be very difficult to supportable via something like a
kpackage app. However, the other systems need better support than
saying, "I'm sorry, you don't use RPM as your package format."

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel