List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google SoC Project Idea: Kate Feature Extension
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2007-03-03 10:20:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 02 March 2007 21:11:57 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 02.03.07 14:40:12, Vic Fryzel wrote:
> > > My comment was only that its good that kdebase has kwrite and not kate,
> > > because kwrite is sufficient as an editor for a desktop and kate gets
> > > more and more into the direction of an IDE...
> >
> > I agree 100%.
> >
> > > I have to say that it takes some time to find all the nifty little
> > > things that really help in developing, but I don't quite agree on the
> > > get lost thing...
> >
> > I was referring to the numerous project types,
>
> Yeah, kdev3 somehow allowed to get too many people add stuff once and
> never maintain it, like 12 languages, from which mostly 4 or so are
> working properly.
>
> > the "behind the scenes" project build support,
>
> Thats something I definetly like, while I'm comfortable with writing
> buildsystem files myself its so convenient to automatically add a file
> to a project when creating it - automatically.
>
> > > I don't quite agree on that last one, it does some things wrt text
> > > editing very well, but it also has some shortcomming which can't be
> > > solved inside Kate itself. One of those is indentation, the other one
> > > improved hightlighting, that come to my mind instantly. And I'm not
> > > suggesting to add these to kate, thats really the job of a full blown
> > > IDE.
> >
> > How are indentation and highlighting lacking in Kate?
>
> Well, highlighting in kate as well and automatic indenation depends on
> the way kate "parses" source code. While it works for quite many types
> of code, it fails badly in not too few cases. Currently Kate's
> autoindentation doesn't work reasonably at all for me (that is Kate2.5),
> pressing enter on the last line of a multiline-C++ string literal
> unindents the line until it meets the former and sets the new line to
> the same indentation too. So if the code is indented one level and the
> first string-literal line is indented 5 levels pressing enter I end up
> on the first level. Kate also doesn't get where a statement ends
> and thus cannot unindent back to the proper level, i.e. when finishing
> the string literal and putting the ; at the end, pressing enter puts me
> on the 5th indentation level eventually, not on the first.
For KDE 4, the indentation issues can be solved by writing js scripts to
handle the indentation, like vim/emacs do it with scripts, too.

Btw., for any more Kate talk, refer to kwrite-devel@kde.org, I just missed
this whole thread here, as I (and other kate devs) read kde-devel only
sporadic.

cu
Christoph

--