List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google SoC Project Idea: Kate Feature Extension
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-02 20:11:57

On 02.03.07 14:40:12, Vic Fryzel wrote:
> > My comment was only that its good that kdebase has kwrite and not kate,
> > because kwrite is sufficient as an editor for a desktop and kate gets
> > more and more into the direction of an IDE...
> I agree 100%.
>
> > I have to say that it takes some time to find all the nifty little
> > things that really help in developing, but I don't quite agree on the
> > get lost thing...
> I was referring to the numerous project types,

Yeah, kdev3 somehow allowed to get too many people add stuff once and
never maintain it, like 12 languages, from which mostly 4 or so are
working properly.

> the "behind the scenes" project build support,

Thats something I definetly like, while I'm comfortable with writing
buildsystem files myself its so convenient to automatically add a file
to a project when creating it - automatically.

> > I don't quite agree on that last one, it does some things wrt text
> > editing very well, but it also has some shortcomming which can't be
> > solved inside Kate itself. One of those is indentation, the other one
> > improved hightlighting, that come to my mind instantly. And I'm not
> > suggesting to add these to kate, thats really the job of a full blown
> > IDE.
> How are indentation and highlighting lacking in Kate?

Well, highlighting in kate as well and automatic indenation depends on
the way kate "parses" source code. While it works for quite many types
of code, it fails badly in not too few cases. Currently Kate's
autoindentation doesn't work reasonably at all for me (that is Kate2.5),
pressing enter on the last line of a multiline-C++ string literal
unindents the line until it meets the former and sets the new line to
the same indentation too. So if the code is indented one level and the
first string-literal line is indented 5 levels pressing enter I end up
on the first level. Kate also doesn't get where a statement ends
and thus cannot unindent back to the proper level, i.e. when finishing
the string literal and putting the ; at the end, pressing enter puts me
on the 5th indentation level eventually, not on the first.

It would be even worse probably for python files..

As for highlighting its really not lacking in terms of kate should do
this, it just can't. What I meant there is something like that:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~hamishrodda/kdev-duchain3.png
which needs type information and other things from the source code.
(that screenshot is kdev4 with kate4 in a state from Oct last year,
nowadays that code isn't working)

Andreas

--
Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.