List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Google SoC Project Idea: KRepo (source code repo. tool)
From:       Vic Fryzel <vic () shellsage ! com>
Date:       2007-02-26 4:29:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

I'd very much like to contribute to KDE via the Google Summer of Code.  I
think that I have yet another good project idea, and have no problem putting
forth the required effort to contribute features.  I've already contributed
patches to the KDE project, am an active Gentoo developer, and develop a lot
of open source software in my spare time.

Please take the time to review, comment on, and build on my proposal, and I
very much appreciate any feedback.  I'll submit it as soon as the web
interface for proposal submissions is available.

My preliminary project proposal for KRepo (a full and extensible KDE source
code repository interface tool) follows:

Who are you? What are you studying?
My name is Vic Fryzel.  I'm pursuing a B.S. and M.S. in Software Engineering.

What exactly do you intend to do? What will not be done?
I intend to develop a tool that can connect to and interface with any source
code repository system (e.g. CVS, SVN, darcs, etc.).  The tool would be
extensible, and have a "plugin" design, so that plugins could be written for
new repository types (similar to the way SuperKaramba apps work with Python
backends).  The tool would integrate well with many UI elements throughout
KDE, including lists and icons.  A common API would be written for this tool,
and made available to other KDE applications wishing to interface with a
source code repository.  The tool would use kio slaves to make connections to
repositories simpler.

Why are you the right person for this task?
I'm the right person for the task because I have substantial open source
software development experience, a significant will to see KDE become more
popular and widely used as a development tool, and because I use both KDE,
CVS, and SVN on a daily basis, so I know what the pain points are with source
code management and KDE.  I'm also familiar with Qt and the KDE libraries.

How many hours are you going to work on this a week?
I'm prepared to work as many as 30-40 hours per week on this project.  My
other commitments include my full-time day job as a software engineer.

Are you comfortable working independently under a remote supervisor or mentor?
I'm comfortable working independently under a supervisor or mentor who is at a
remote location.  I'd set weekly goals for the project, and discuss these
goals and my progess weekly (or less frequently based upon the requirements
of the mentor) with my mentor.  I've already had experience with this sort of
thing in becoming a Gentoo developer, where a large number of the developers
live in Europe, and I live in the U.S.

What is your native language?
My native language is English.

Where do you live?
I live in Rochester, NY, USA;  a local mentor would be spectacular, but I've
yet to meet a KDE developer from the area.

To what extent are you familiar with the software you're proposing to work
with?
I'm very familiar with many source code repository softwares, including CVS,
SVN, and darcs.  I use CVS and SVN daily, and administer quite a few SVN
repositories.  I've used C++ for many work-related projects (and now that I
think about it, many non-work-related projects), and know it well.
Additionally I'm familiar with Qt and the KDE libraries.

--
Vic Fryzel (vic at shellsage dot com)
http://shellsage.com/