List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KListView, Dolphin and usability
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-14 17:42:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 14, 2007, David Faure wrote:
> Logical grouping.
> Separating out the icons that you are going to move/upload/whatever, before
> doing so. Splitting the "already processed" from the "not yet processed"
> files, when doing whatever on the files (opening each of them in an editor
> and doing something)

is dragging objects around really the best solution?

fast tagging and filtering (based on those tags) might be a better way to
achieve the same end goal.

we don't have this functionality available right now and we're already up to
our eyeballs for 4.0 so i'm not going to suggest we do that instead, but for
the mid-term that might be something to think about.

a related possibility is stacking: defined drop zones where you can put icons
into stacks; when a stack is selected (e.g. clicked on) it "expands"
(hopefully with a cute animation) to show those icons primarily or even
exclusively. this is a form of fast ad-hoc tagging using a non-textual
interface.

this seems a more powerful concept to me than moving icons into amorphous
blobs on small (compared to, say, my real world desk) surfaces.

note that tagging/stacking also aren't orthogonal to visual grouping, sorting,
etc like free-dragging is.

(and why is this conversation cross posted to two lists? i see it also on
kfm-devel. *sigh* =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se