List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.5.6 & KDE 4
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-05 21:41:54

On Saturday 03 February 2007, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
> Here is the problem. The "core" developers moved to KDE4 which will again
> take some time. Lot's of bugs in KDE3 are left unfixed. Sometimes also
> disturbing new bugs are introduced in KDE3 so the stability of KDE3 series
> has some problems.

All of kde3 bugs will never fixed; whatever we do, that would be the case anyway.
However any time I work on kde4 code and notice a bug that was already there in the kde3 code,
I backport the fix. We haven't moved to kde4 as our own desktop yet; so kde3 bugs are getting
fixed simply because we're still eating the kde3 dog food.

> Why is a transition layer so bad for you? You have open source. You can
> remove it any later time and inbetween do a step by step ugrading.

We have transition layers (kde3support), to help applications. They just can't be part of
the clean core (the rest of kdelibs) otherwise we will never be able to make the core
clean (for binary compatibility reasons). Trolltech did the same with Qt.

> I hope so. I also hope you do not underestimate all the other influences
> which result from changes in the computer and Linux world.

Pretty generic statement; this conversion can keep going for a long time if we go
to that level of discussion ;)

> There have been
> big companies going down the drain as they did not survive the phase of
> constant growing. KDE mostly has the same problems as these companies.

Not really. KDE doesn't work like a company. We don't have salaries to pay, etc.