List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.5.6 & KDE 4
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-02-05 6:34:53

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 03:13 pm, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2007 19:27, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
> > Of course, that depends on who is the maintainer (the immediate
> > recipient of your report), whether he/she is on the job and how
> > conscientious he/she is.  Volunteers have a way of walking away
> > quietly when nobody is looking, whether they are in KDE development
> > or a dog-breeding club.  It is a very normal and human thing.
> >
> > My suggestions are:
> > 1. Ping every maintainer on the bug list regularly with an email, for
> > which they just have to click Reply ... something like the ping from KDE
> > lists. 2. If a maintainer does not reply, send a series of politely
> > worded requests at pre-determined intervals, just in case the maintainer
> > is on holiday, in hospital, just vegging out somewhere, wants to resign
> > or has lost us in the spam detector.  Also, search KDE list memberships,
> > in case they changed email address and did not update bugzilla.
> > 3. If still no reply, start looking for another maintainer.  The urgency
> > would depend on the role of the application and how unstable its history
> > is. 4. If there is a bug report and no reply from the maintainer within X
> > days, proceed as in 2, but with more urgent schedule and message wording.
> > 5. If still no reply, escalate the report to a "triage" person, who will
> > make some sort of response to the user, even if it is "please hold on
> > while we track down the author", but hopefully some indication on when or
> > whether the bug will be fixed, depending on its severity and urgency.
>
> Actually, I would recommend against this. It only adds noise to the bug
> report and doesn't really give the person reporting the bug or the person
> handling the bug any value added. It turns the nice people working on the
> bug into mean people and makes the people reporting the bug seem impatient,
> rude, and selfish.

You seem to have misunderstood.  This idea is only to handle cases where
a maintainer has stopped acting as a maintainer or is incommunicado or
someone reports a bug and the maintainer does not respond in any way.

There are several ways for a maintainer to indicate that he/she has seen
a bug report and is working on it, which AFAIK are commonly used, so what
I propose would put minimal noise on anybody's channel, would not add to
any actual bug report text and would be silent when bug reports are getting
attention.  Please give my ideas some further thought.

Cheers, Ian W.