List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.5.6 & KDE 4
From:       Philip Rodrigues <philip.rodrigues () chch ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2007-02-04 18:43:30

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Dirk Stoecker wrote:
>>Will there be something equal for the bug tracking problems? Mainly for
>>managing the tasks of
>>- previewing bug reports
>>- requesting additional information for incomplete reports
>>- assign reports to the relevant developers
>>- quality control of report handling
>>- control of nonfixed reports after certain time intervalls
>
> Yes, if someone volunteers to do that.
>
> When I had the time, I used to read every single bug report and try to
> assign to maintainers, test, etc. It wasn't the complete process you
> described above, but a start.
>
> I don't have such time any more. I know other people have taken up the
> task, but I don't know to what extent.
>
> And since you're raising the issue here, it's still lacking.

Thiago is quite correct - this is almost entirely a manpower-bound issue.
KDE gets ~80 new bug reports/wishes per day, in addition to the nearly
13,000 items that already exist. To deal with that effectively takes a lot
of time, but it's unfair to suggest that it's an issue that no one cares
about - we've organised a few bug triage weekends, which have had some
success, and a number of people spend a lot of time doing exactly the
things you mention.

If you have concrete suggestions for ways to improve the situation, or you'd
like to organise a bug triage weekend, please discuss it on
kde-quality@kde.org.

Regards,
Philip