List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] KPDF2-0.3.0 released
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-02 13:46:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 1, 2007, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo napisaƂ(a):
> > they do. i've used them and lubos has been blogging about it, even
> > putting up screen capture movies.
>
> OK, but it is not the same as being part of mainstream. Compiz is there
> for over half a year.

the first-to-market dogma is hardly a truism. compiz isn't production ready
imo and it has serious hurdles to proper desktop integration, at least as kde
tends to define "integration"

> It is creating "cool factor" which is really important for young people.

and what about the majority of people who need something more than this? it's
all about balance and managing multiple sets of needs, something i see
completely missing from most of the discussion in this thread.

> >> I have not used accessibility.
> >
> > i was kde's first envoy to the fsg accessibility group some 4 years ago.
> > thankfully others came along to help out and take over who are more
> > interested and vested in the topic than i am. but it has given me a
> > decent vantage point  =)
>
> Accessibility is most important for me as a way to automatically test
> user interfaces. I think we lack this KDE.

agreed. and so we're working hard on bringing it into kde. it's feasible with
kde4 and hard as hell with kde3.

> > yes, it does. (god, why am *i* of all people on *this* side of the
> > conversation? ;) it also needs to happen at the right time and in the
> > right ways, as i'm sure you'll agree.
>
> Yes. The whole point of my e-mail was to put more effort into KDE3
> development, because KDE4 is long way to go. Unfortunately I see a lot

at some point we need to get kde4 out the door. if we don't put effort into
kde4 that'll never happen. your examples include things that will be key
components on a kde4 desktop (and so need to be worked on) or are completely
at a dead end with qt3 (e.g. koffice's text layouting)

> And it means that until everybody is using KDE4, nobody will see these
> improvements. So nobody will use them for another year.

and the problem is?

> > happen since the corba and bonobo vs dcop and kparts days. it's never
> > been true and it isn't true.
>
> I am not saying they are better :)
> I am saying they keep delivering new stuff over the period when KDE
> development seems "stalled".

the "road to kde4" series and the commit digest are nice data points. however,
you seem to be saying there is, in your opinion, a public perception problem.
if so, please take this thread to kde-promo and help fix it by doing what the
people writing articles and talking to the public about kde4 are doing.

> > beagle: swahili for overrated. even gnome is moving to tracker, which is
> > much more like strigi than anything else. and the vandeoever, the strigi
> > architect, is the guy who is leading standardization in this area on
> > fd.o;
>
> I agree on Beagle. But it is in use and creates "look, it indexes
> webpages I visited!" cool factor. Strigi is not part of KDE3, so again
> -> KDE4.

strigi works with kde3. you're right that we won't have widespread integration
of search and semantic networks until sometime in the kde4 series, but that
is exactly NO different than doing it in kde3. or are you operating under the
flawed assumption that adding it to kde3 would be less work?

> > except that akonadi is a way to solve that bug, among others which are
> > pretty much intractable with the design in kde3. given that, what do you
> > think now?
>
> If this bug could not be solved in current KDE3 architecture, then I
> think there would be something seriously wrong with KDE3 architecture.
> And I don't think this is the case.

in the case of PIM storage and retrieval in KDE3, you're wrong. there are lots
of great things in KDE3, this isn't one of them. it doesn't suck, but it's
not great either.

> And promising to solve such bug in next "major" release seems a lot like
> promises of proprietary apps vendors.

it's not about promises. it's looking at what it will take and then doing it.
which in this case means re-examining base assumptions in the design of the
architecture.

> > here's the greatest irony of the open source fanbase: they love what we
> > do but they also seem to think we're borderline idiots =)
>
> Just the opposite :) I think you are cool guys who want to work on new
> and fun stuff in KDE4, instead of dealing with old, boring KDE3 ;)

working on kde3 would be a lot easier and in many ways more fun, to be honest.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se