List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing applications for KDE4
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2007-02-01 7:51:42

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Matt Newell wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 04:57, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > KGoldrunner has used QList, but a different QList, in Qt1, then it had to
> > use QPtrList and now it's QList again.  That's not "several", I admit, but
> > it's two changes too many for such a fundamental programming tool,
> > the idea of which has been around for at least thirty or forty years now.
>
> I really don't understand why you don't stick with Qt 1.4.4.  You could link
> it statically and your applications would never need to be updated.
>
> Then you could stay busy working on your stuff, instead of ridiculing the
> efforts of others.

Ian had constructive comments. Sorry, but your comment is crap.

You won't find any distributor who has a development environment able to
link anything against Qt1. It will be hard as well to find anyone linking
against Qt2.

As he said, if you don't upgrade, the software dies.

I know from GTK: The switch from GTK1.2 to GTK2 e.g. took probably a bit
more than a year. Afterwards either your software was migrated or out of
the main distributions.

Ciao