List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how to solve a dependency problem in kalzium
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-30 17:33:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 3:32, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> But since we realized that there were two or three other projects doing
> similar stuff (Qt/KDE widgets rendering molecules with OpenGL), we decided
> to join efforts.

nice =)

> Laurent then proposed to import it in playground. Then Pino told me to
> also consider kdesupport (especially as eigen is already there).
>
> What do you think?

it should probably end up in kdesupport if it doesn't have any KDE libs
dependencies itself. if it is stable enough to be shipped and used by more
than one application, then it probably doesn't need to start in playground.

of course, you'll want to consider issues of API stability if you're going to
be relying on it in a KDE application that ships with the base modules.

> Another issue is that libavogadro is developed together with an app,
> Avogadro. If we import the lib, shouldn't we import the app too, at the
> same location? But the problem is: isn't kdesupport only for libs?

i don't see why you'd need to import the application as well. the application
can live anywhere it wishes. this is similar to other libs in kdesupport such
as taglib which are used by all sorts of applications that "live" all over
the net

if advogadro would like to be brought into KDE's svn that'd be cool, assuming
it is a KDE app =) if so, then the question is where would it go... and if it
too is stable enough to ship a release then that would mean probably either
extragear/edu or kdeedu (that's up to the kdeedu maintainers). either way it
needs documentation, to use kde libs, be translatable, etc...

does that help make anything clearer? =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se