List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Wish] Title, Address and Date format
From:       Johannes Bergmeier <Johannes.Bergmeier () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-01-30 15:00:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 15:03, Ian Wadham wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:11 pm, Jacob R Rideout wrote:
> > In both British and American variants of English if a given lexeme has
> > verb form, it usually also  has a gerund, ... <snip>
> >
> Thanks for the grammar dissertation, Jacob, but "message" is
> not a verb where I come from.  If it is a verb in US/KDE English,
> maybe it should go on the list of homonyms that is confusing
> our Japanese colleagues (title, etc).
According to my dict (longman - Dictionary of Contemporary English from 2001)
it was no verb in classical English. But it must have been in use as a verb
for some time now, as it is listed as a verb in the section "New Words".

I think that except from places where (funny) new words don't harm
(level-names, app-names, credits) or where they are required part of the
jargon (e.g. "instant messaging") we should stick to common "old" words.

However I personally don't have any problem with message as a verb etc, as I
use only English at my desktop (I'm German) and am that bad in English that i
don't recognize whether a term was just invented by someone.

the Josel

PS: Bad spell checker :(  I would prefer to write only in lower case.