List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Wish] Title, Address and Date format
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2007-01-29 14:22:28

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Yukiko Bando wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not a developer but subscribed to this list to ask you a favor.  As a
> Japanese translator, I have couple of wishes.

The QT internationalisation functions have a field "comment" which creates
a context. This field should be used to seperate equal english string
depending on their meaning.
See http://caslav.gmxhome.de/writings/kde4-porting-i18n.html

A possible change would be

i18n("Title")

to (note the little c)

i18nc("Person", "Title")
or
i18nc("Document", "Title")

But regarding your wishes: If you want it done, do it yourself. :-)
Usually this is a very easy modifications done much faster yourself than
asking the authors to do so. Most of the native english speakers do not
care for special i18n problems and the others are sometimes aware of the
problems but only as long as the specifics of their home language are
concerned.

I think the KDE situation is a little bit better in case of i18n, but the
people are still the same bunch of developers as everywhere. Some years
ago I helped developing the freeciv game. There have been functions like
a_if_vowel(), which selected between "a" and "an" inside the source code.
Was lots of fun for the translators. I got some "thank you"s after I
cleaned up the code to remove lots of the "pure english string handling".

For specific problems either contact the author or file a bug report if
you can't fix it yourself. Filing a bug report with attached patch speeds
up the things a lot usually (if you don't write to SVN yourself :-)

Ciao