List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Adding KActionCollection to a window
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2007-01-28 18:39:18

In KDE 4 code, I can't get actions to apply to a whole dialog window - they
only happen after clicking on a particular widget within the window.

The dialog is subclassed from KDialog. Its constructor contains the following
relevant code:

        KActionCollection* actions = new KActionCollection(this);
        actions->setAssociatedWidget(topLevelWidget());
        actions->addAssociatedWidget(mListView);
        KStandardAction::selectAll(mListView, SLOT(selectAll()), actions);
        KStandardAction::deselect(mListView, SLOT(clearSelection()), actions);

where mListView is a QTreeView widget contained within the dialog widget.

When I click inside the QTreeView, the standard shortcuts ctrl-A and
shift-ctrl-A work to (de)select view items. But the shortcuts don't work when
the KDialog widget has focus without first clicking in the view. How can I
get the shortcuts to apply to the window as a whole?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.