List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Maths: importing GMM into kdesupport/
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2007-01-25 16:42:23

> If that's the easier solution, I don't care too much. But you have to be aware
> that whenever we copied stuff, it outdated _way_ too quickly. And it will
> happen here too.

Thinking more about it, I think that it is really better to have a full
copy of GMM in kdesupport/ instead of importing files in eigen/.

As it doesn't seem to bring any additional inconvenient (over importing
files into eigen/), I think that's what we'll do unless you disagree.

Here are the reasons why it's better:

- this would allow apps to use GMM directly if they don't need Eigen (like
this Krita filter)

- GMM's aim is very different from Eigen's aim, so a GMM wrapper in Eigen
would not feel at home, while making Eigen heavier.

- importing GMM files into Eigen means that we have to relicense them (GMM
is LGPL, Eigen is GPL+exception); even though the devs allowed us to do
so, we'd have to ask for permission everytime we update.

- more generally, a verbatim copy of a library is more easily updated

Benoit