List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tab switching shortcuts [Re: Some questions regarding development
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2007-01-20 20:38:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 20 January 2007 15:22, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On 1/20/07, Gary L. Greene, Jr. <greeneg@tolharadys.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I think we should think about this. BTW, there is also the Win key
> > > available on many (altough not all) keyboards that might be used with
> > > TAB.
> > >
> > > Andras
> >
> > I've been seriously eyeing the win key for a number of window management
> > shortcuts. This way we can have the shortcuts be in the following manner:
> > CTRL == global non-window management, WIN == global window management,
> > ALT == application. This way the shortcuts are more standardized. While
> > yes, this flies in the face of the Windows way of doing things (where the
> > shortcuts are almost ad-hoc) I'd like to see us move to this, since it'd
> > make it clear what shortcuts that app developers can use, and which that
> > the platform uses, etc.
>
> Could you give a couple examples of the various cases?
>
> As a side thought, would this be something that could done in the
> default KDE setup, or would it have to be an "alternate"
> configuration?  If it ends up as an alternate configuration, it will
> probably be doomed to obsolescence, so it'd be worth considering how
> to make it not-too-radical so that your plans can be accepted as
> standard defaults and actually get used. :)
>
> Best regards,
> Ellis

> >> unsubscribe <<

At the moment, I'm busy with building the initial build root for the build
server for AltimatOS, plus packing for the move to California for work at
Google, but once I've gotten the move completed, I'll pour some of my time
into working out a good set of shortcuts I can present. This way we can work
out the issues and see about getting it so there aren't any shortcut clash
like we have now in kdevelop, and a few other apps. Heck, I think that likely
the global desktop and window manager shortcuts should likely be brought up
at the Freedesktop.org level, to push the idea that we don't want the mess
that we have now.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net